Threadcount Suit Jacket - finally a matching set!

Threadcount Suit Jacket sewing pattern review

Though I'm posting this for the #wardrobebuilder project, I have to admit that this was started over 18 months ago! I started it in Feb 2016, managed to mainly complete it this Easter, and finally hemmed it this month. It was intended to pair with the Megan dress that I made from Love at First Stitch as an outfit for work....and that is exactly what I have been doing with it!

Fabric

The fabric that I used for this was a grey suiting fabric that I bought from Croft Mill. I had used it in my Megan dress so it would make a matching suit. It's a good fabric to work with and contrary to the rest of the pictures in this post, doesn't crease that much! I used the same lining as the Megan dress too; it matches in colour and is a fairly standard lining.

Threadcount Suit Jacket sewing pattern review

Pattern and Instructions

The pattern for this suit jacket came free with Love Sewing magazine. The pattern is a complete suit set with trousers, skirt, top and dress to match the jacket. The suit set is softly structured with gathers at the tops of the top and dress. The jacket has a shawl collar, which I thought would make it easier to sew. My version has quite a few differences but essentially the construction is the same.

Threadcount Suit Jacket sewing pattern review

The instructions inside are similar to those that you would find in most commercial patterns - concise with diagrams where needed. I found the construction of the neckline and collar a little trickier, and there are some dodgy bits that luckily are hidden under the collar. Speaking of dodgy bits, the reason this jacket took so long is because I had hemming issues. After I slipstitched the hem of the shell and lining I realised that somehow the lining was too short. It was pulling up the jacket and did not look right at all. After months of putting it off, I ended up putting the hem through the sewing machine. This means it's more visible than it's meant to be, but it is finished!

Alterations

I traced the pattern pieces and shortened them considerably for my jacket. I find that at 5ft tall, cropped is better. I shortened the sleeves a little too but having worn the jacket now wish I had shortened them further. I think the alterations may have affected the overall drape of the jacket as you can see here.

Threadcount Suit Jacket sewing pattern review

Thoughts

I think that next time I want a cropped jacket, I'll buy the pattern. As you can see, this wasn't hugely successful and is only just wearable....I certainly wouldn't want any other seamstresses to look at it closely. I can just about get away with it for work though. I'm glad I made it though because I do need a jacket to pair with the Megan dress and this matches colours perfectly. I would like to investigate the other patterns in the pack a little more in future.

Share

No comments:

Post a Comment


Hi, I'm Laura. Welcome to my journeys with modern, feminine dressmaking; pattern reviews, tips and guides for beginners. I'm a lifelong foodie, so you'll also find some delicious recipes and places to get that foodie fix.
Follow

Follow Me

the #wardrobebuilder project

Powered by Blogger.

Instagram

PINTEREST

LIke on Facebook

Popular Posts

Search This Blog

Follow by Email

Legal stuff

Check out our disclaimer here