Time to get involved....
One garment a month, over the course of one year, building up a handmade collection of wardrobe essentials.
What is the #wardrobebuilder project?
Each month will feature one wardrobe essential. They have been chosen to be broad categories, yet seasonal, and over the year should create a balance of items that can be for worn for occasions, for work or as casual wear. Everyone is invited to add ideas, makes and links that focus on this type of garment.
You do not need to make a specific pattern, and it does not need to be exclusive. If you have made a vintage dress for a different challenge that you think is a great wardrobe builder then link it up! If it's one you made last year that was a real winner then we'd love to see it - and maybe copy it too. You can add more than one each month if you like, or add a round up post if it's focused on the monthly theme. There is a dedicated Pinterest board where you can share your make, add inspiration for others or follow to get some ideas and see what everyone else is up to.
Tutorials are welcome too! If you have created a post with tips that are relevant to the monthly wardrobe essential then add it to the link up to help the rest of us that month with our makes.
How to get involved
Building a balanced wardrobe and sharing successful makes is the point so you can:
- Subscribe to posts or follow on social media to be reminded of each month's wardrobe essential and keep up with everyone else's makes.
- Add a link to a blog post about your make in the monthly link up.
- Add your own makes to the Pinterest board. To do this you need to follow the board and then request permission to Pin by sending me either your Pinterest user name or full email address (via email email@example.com or comments below)
- Post an image of your make or post on Instagram, Twitter or Pinterest with the hashtag #wardrobebuilder.
- Send me your photos and I'll upload them for you.
- Tell others about it! Copy the image above (or email me for a smaller one if 300px is too large) and add it to your blog's sidebar, share the monthly posts or Pin the calendar below.
Why the #wardrobebuilder project?I make clothes for a number of reasons. I do enjoy the process itself but I also enjoy creating a bespoke item, especially when I go looking in shops and I can't find what I need or to fit. Often there are events coming up that direct my choices, sometimes I've fallen in love with a fabric, or sometimes I want to test a new skill. So far I have made quite a lot of garments, but some are hardly worn at all (huge selection of dresses can go into this category). So for 2017 I'm broadening horizons and trying to add at least one item to each area of my closet, rather than all in one area. This way I figure I'll get a lot more wear out of what I make!
I'm opening this up as a challenge/social project because I think I learn a lot from other seamstress' ideas and online searching. I often come across patterns that my own hours of internet trawling have overlooked, so I'm hoping we can all see and share with each other. I love finding new sewing bloggers and Instagrammers, and I'm sure I'm not alone!
So, if you are looking to build a handmade wardrobe, to share your makes/blog posts, get inspired or get involved in a challenge that will lead to clothes you will wear, then this is for you.
January's link up and inspiration will be going live tomorrow. If you have any questions or comments leave them below, or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.